Did you just receive an email that claims to be a SharePoint Fax? Some fraudulent emails are claiming to be Sharepoint Faxes and they want your attention. Here are some basic tell-tale signs to check for before trusting the message.
- The sender’s address is not formatted correctly with a company name or domain extension, like “[email protected]” or “[email protected]”
- The domain of the sender doesn’t match that of the email at all. In this case a fax was received that did’t have anything to with the sending domain.
- There is no contact information available on the body of the email, such as a phone number, physical address or web site URL.
- The subject line does not match what is in the text of the email itself.
- When mousing over the link, notice the URL that it’s pointing to. In this case, the URL had nothing to do with the SharePoint Fax system or the sending Domain.
- There is no visible sender in the email, and it’s not formatted like a typical company letter.
- The text of the email lacks capitalization at times or commas between sentences. In this case, there were many errors that made for hard reading throughout the message.
- It has an attachment with a name you’ve never heard before.
Some additional things you can examine are the outbound links in the email. If you use ofver them, your browser should show you the link before you click on it. DO NOT VISIT THE LINK. Just examine the URL of the link to make sure the primary domain name matches up. This is a key indicator of a phishing attempt. Bad Actors are out to get your account credentials.
In our case, the email in question didn’t meet many of these things. So we concluded very easily that this message was a phishing attempt.
We advise anyone with a similar SharePoint Fax email to ignore it and delete it immediately.
If you need further help with such items, check out our management support services.
If you received a suspicious email, forward it to [email protected] and we’ll have a look at it.
See the video below for our analysis of this email.